Your cleaning tip for the month comes from our friends at Going Green House Cleaning.
The word of the month is Tea Tree Oil.
Okay, that’s three words. Whatever. You know what I mean.
There is a reason they call it “medicine chest in a bottle.”
Tea tree oil, also known as melaleuca, is an essential oil with a plethora of uses! It is known to treat a variety of medical conditions and records show it’s been used for thousands of years. Whether you need it for cleaning or to treat acne, tea tree oil should be something in everyone’s medicine cabinet! Here are a few ways you can use this versatile oil:
- Topically: always dilute with a carrier oil like coconut oil for a 1:1 ratio before applying to skin
- Aromatically: use an oil diffuser or directly inhale it
- DO NOT ingest: tea tree oil should not be taken by mouth for any reason. It is poisonous if ingested, and side effects can include dizziness and digestive issues.
If you want to use your tea tree oil for cleaning, there are many fantastic ways to do that!
- Mildew: mix 1 cup vinegar with 25 drops melaleuca in a spray bottle. Spritz on mildew and let it sit for 10 minutes. Wipe with a damp cloth. It is a natural mold fighter!
- All-purpose cleaner: mix 1 quart of warm water with 15 drops melaleuca in a spray bottle. (DO NOT use on granite or marble)
- Laundry: add 1 teaspoon of melaleuca to your wash. This will help prevent bacteria and fungal infections because of the oil’s antifungal properties.
- Purifying air: place a few drops of this oil in a diffuser to disinfect and deodorize the air. It is also said to reduce anxiety and help with sleep.
- Bathroom scrub: use 10-15 drops tea tree oil, water, vinegar, baking soda, and castile soap.
- Toilets bowls: ½ cup baking soda, a few drops of tea tree oil, and ½ cup peroxide. Scrub with a toilet brush then leave it set until someone uses the bathroom.
- Carpet freshener: mix ½ cup baking soda with 20-40 drops of tea tree oil and another great smelling oil of your choice. (if you have pets, we advise you stay away from tea tree oil though) Mix together in a shaker container and let permeate for 24 hours. Sprinkle lightly over carpet, allowing it to sit for 15 minutes, then vacuum.
And these are just the ways melaleuca can freshen up your home! Tea tree oil is an amazing, versatile substance that not only can clean up your home, but can soothe a burn or remove ticks. Definitely something you want to have in your medicine cabinet at all times!